This recipe comes from chef Alon Shaya at Domenica restaurant in New Orleans & is one of the most flavorful cauliflower dishes that I've ever tasted. The cauliflower is precooked in a seasoned poaching liquid which infuses it with flavor & then is roasted to make it crisp. While it may seem like a long process a lot of the prep can be done beforehand.
• 2 1/2 cups dry white wine
• 1/3 cup of mild olive oil (I used Forcella Biologica)
• 1/4 cup kosher salt
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 head of cauliflower, leaves removed
Whipped Goat Cheese and Assembly;
• 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
• 3 ounces cream cheese
• 3 ounces feta
• 1/3 cup heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons of mild olive oil plus more for serving (I used Forcella Biologica)
• Coarse sea salt (for serving)
• Preheat oven to 475°. Bring wine, oil, kosher salt, juice, butter, red pepper flakes, sugar, bay leaf, and 8 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Add cauliflower, reduce heat, and simmer, turning occasionally, until a knife easily inserts into center, 15-20 minutes.
• Using 2 slotted spoons or a mesh spider, transfer cauliflower to a rimmed baking sheet, draining well. Roast, rotating sheet halfway through, until brown all over, 30-40 minutes.
Whipped Goat Cheese and Assembly:
• While cauliflower is roasting, blend goat cheese, cream cheese, feta, cream, and 2 tablespoons of evoo (I used Forcella Biologica) in a food processor until smooth; season with sea salt. Transfer whipped goat cheese to a serving bowl and drizzle with more evoo.
• Transfer cauliflower to a plate. Drizzle with the same evoo used to precook the cauliflower; sprinkle with sea salt. Serve with whipped goat cheese.
• DO AHEAD: Whipped goat cheese can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.